Post-Graduate Work Permit

International students who graduated from Canadian designated learning institutions can obtain a Post-Graduate Work Permit. This permit allows graduates to gain skilled Canadian employment, which can help them qualify for various pathways to permanent residence in Canada. The PGWP is valid for up to 180 days from the date your letter of completion becomes available, or your study permit expires/ends. You can also apply from overseas.

The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) allows international students to remain in Canada and gain valuable Canadian work experience after graduation. It is an open work permit that does not require a job offer and can be used to gain experience in any occupation. It also helps students qualify for Canadian permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class within Express Entry.

Who is Eligible for PGWP?

To be eligible for the PGWP, you must have a letter of completion from your academic institution that confirms your program has been successfully completed. You must apply for the PGWP within 180 days of receiving the letter of completion.

The length of your PGWP will be based on the duration of your program. For example, your work permit will be valid for two years if you have a two-year program. However, if you are completing a shorter program, your work permit will only be valid for one year. The length of your work permit may vary depending on the nature of your study or whether you studied part-time or accelerated. See the IRCC website for more information on determining your length of work permit.

PGWP Application

PGWP Application

The process to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit can be complex, and it is important that students apply as soon as they meet the degree requirements. Failure to do so will result in a termination of their study permit, and they may not be able to work legally in Canada for 90 days. International Student Support is introducing group advising sessions for those interested in applying for their PGWP. To be eligible for the PGWP, students must have completed an IRCC-approved program of study. The work permit will be issued for the length of the student’s program or up to a maximum of three years if they have completed more than one program of study.

The PGWP is a great way to gain Canadian work experience, and it can help you apply for permanent residence through Express Entry in the Canadian Experience Class. It is also a requirement for the Entrepreneur Class. We recommend that all graduate students consider their work options and consult with a Regulated Immigration Advisor before making any decisions regarding their immigration status.

PGWP Extension

PGWP Extension

A PGWP allows you to work full-time in Canada after you complete a program of study that lasts at least eight months. It is valid for 18 months, and you can apply to renew it. It is also labor market impact assessment (LMIA)-exempt, meaning employers can hire you more quickly than they could if they were applying for a regular work permit.

IRCC recently announced that the government would start a voluntary process that will allow some international students with expiring PGWPs to extend their status for up to 18 months. This is a welcome change for many migrant student workers who are worried about being left with no options when their work permits expire.

Once a student has successfully graduated from their program and IRCC has issued a letter of completion, they can apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit. This application can be made from either inside or outside of Canada. However, additional documentation may be requested depending on the visa office that processes the application.

A PGWP is valid for up to three years. It is usually equal to the duration of your study program in Canada but can be shorter if you studied part-time or did accelerated studies. It is also worth noting that students can only receive one PGWP in their lifetime.

Students can apply for an extension of their work permit within 180 days of their graduation date. The extension is subject to a Labour Market Impact Assessment and must be approved by the IRCC. To apply for an extension, the student should submit an online form and include supporting documents. This can be done via IRCC’s secure website. It is also possible for a PGWP to be used as a pathway to permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). However, it is important to note that the work experience must be in NOC codes 0, A, or B.